The Vistaprint legal team is looking for a seasoned and entrepreneurial trade compliance professional to lead Vistaprint’s Global Customs & Trade Compliance operation. As the head of Global Customs & Trade Compliance, you will set and execute the strategy for delivering on operational efficiency, compliance processes and duty avoidance. You will be challenged to bring a practical and creative approaches and solutions to a traditional compliance function and to assess risks and opportunities appropriately and dedicate resources as needed. You will be expected to be a senior advisor to the procurement, supply chain and marketing teams and combine a deep expertise in customs and trade compliance requirements with a full understanding of Vistaprint’s business objectives and operational requirements.
As the head of Vistaprint’s Global Customs & Trade Compliance function, you will:
- Design, implement and maintain a comprehensive compliance program that:
- Enables the rapid and seamless movement of plant machinery, consumables and finished products to and from Vistaprint’s facilities in Canada, Europe, Australia and the United States.
- Ensures the proper classification and valuation of a steady stream of new products.
- Audits existing process, procedures and playbooks to ensure compliance with existing regulations.
- Properly maintains all necessary documentation and records.
- Is fully prepared for inquiries from regulators.
- Act as the senior point of contact with S. Customs and Border Protection, Canada Border Services Agency and other government agencies on matters related to import operations and trade compliance.
- Oversee strategic direction and tactical implementation of duty savings programs, including NAFTA, 9802 and Canadian duty drawback.
- Manage, support and evaluate Vistaprint’s network of customs brokers.
- Provide expert advice and support to the procurement, supply chain, and logistics teams.
- Remain current in customs regulations and processes and ensure internal teams are properly trained to comply with existing regulations and prepared for changes in the regulatory environment – including Brexit.
You will bring:
- 7-10+ years of experience in a global company handling complex trade compliance issues; e-commerce experience a plus.
- Experience as a Licensed Customs Broker and Certified Customs Specialist.
- Deep background and understanding of U.S. and Canadian customs regulations and practices, with at least a high-level background on customs issues and regulatory requirements in Europe and Asia with a willingness and ability to understand and develop expertise in these areas as well.
- Success in implementing and maintain a global Customs program, including policies, procedures and training and a thorough knowledge of the Harmonized Tariff System.
- Sound and balanced judgment and business awareness, with an appropriate understanding of the need to pragmatically assess risk.
- Experience managing customs brokers to a documented trade compliance program
- Analytical problem-solving skills and experience in advising fast-paced global business operations on trade compliance issues.
- Demonstrated success working with U.S. CBP and other Government agencies on a wide range of regulatory and technical issues.
- Experience managing remote team members.
- Experience working with Descartes Customs Info Manager preferable.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to clearly and accurately explain complex issues to diverse technical and business audiences.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to effectively and timely manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A drive for excellence and for delivering outstanding service that exceeds client expectations.
- A passionate self-starter with a “get things done” mind-set and approach, but always consistent with the highest professional and ethical standards.