Welcome to Cimpress, the world leader in mass customization. We are audacious, innovative and growing. Would you like to contribute to the development of an online platform that’s radically changing the traditional mass-customization market worldwide? Would you like to get more involved with Manufacturing and Engineering and put your research passion and knowledge to the challenge? Then you might just be the Doctoral Industrial intern that we are looking for!
Cimpress is currently looking for a PhD intern (through the Doctorats Industrials program) with the objective to develop research in a topic that involves technology, material science and facility design. The opening will be part of the Factory Planning and Environmental Sustainability (FP&ES) team based in Barcelona, Zurich (Switzerland) and Venlo (The Netherlands). The team provides global engineering services to the company. As part of the team activities, we design globally all manufacturing facilities, layouts and manufacturing processes for Cimpress. A critical component of our operations is the facility environment in where our production takes place.
A key raw material for Cimpress is paper with multiple different substrates and qualities. Due to paper’s nature and our highly automated production processes, all our facilities provide a controlled environment with 22ºC degrees and 55% of relative humidity (RH) for production. The Cimpress R&D department has been always pushing for these properties since these are the basic specifications requested for major equipment manufacturers (Hewlett – Packard, Komori, Manroland, Heidelberg) as well as recommended by the paper providers. Running under these properties at the manufacturing shop floor for 24/7 operations has a significant impact in our environment due to energy consumption: 60% of the current energy consumed at any of our plants is today spent in running the building systems, being the climate control environment a key component of it. The non-compliance with the climate control requirements poses a potential challenge for the quality of the products and therefore the majority of companies follow them. The goal of the research is to define the new standards in climate control for the printing industry.
The doctoral research will be divided in three major areas:
- Technology: deep understanding of the current technologies applied in printing both for offset and digital products. In particular, the intern will partner with key R&D equipment manufacturers departments to define, document and report detailed specifications required as well as advancements expected from the current technologies. Adhoc literature review for specific technologies will be required to map out the state of the art from open literature. Multiple interviews with Cimpress Technology team members will be conducted to captured their deep experience in the process of production that involves ink sublimation, paper curing and additional finishing processes
- Material science: deep understanding of the paper as raw material and water-based inks. The research will focus on the composition of paper and its behavior under different manufacturing conditions especially under highly automated processes. Multiple paper substrates will be evaluated and tests conducted at our factories to graph the sensitiveness for environmental parameters. Similarly, water-based inks and related curing processes will be analyzed and correlated with main paper parameters.
- Facility design: finally, research will explore current Cimpress’ facilities to map out key parameters on climate control and how they influence production outputs. Expertise on building design will be provided by the FP&ES team, although the research will require statistical analysis of large set of data from the building management systems (BMS) and its relation with paper products production.
Aside of the three major areas of focus, the research will also require the construction of some financial models that capture environmental and life-asset analysis. Working with the head of the FP&ES department and with close collaboration with the Director of Infrastructure and the Sr Manager of Environmental Sustainability, the PhD intern main responsibilities will be:
- Develop research autonomously in the area of technology, material science and facilities design
- Provide regular reports on the progress, with a clear focus initially on state of the art of the industry to then gradually move into results to actual tests, interviews and findings
- Familiarize with key technologies of ink transfer to paper and other substrates, key equipment manufacturers, IP / patents and upcoming new technologies Familiarize with Cimpress network of production facilities and their production processes
- Develop, prepare and execute tests to record data supporting the research
- Creation of internal white papers for specific areas based on the findings of the research
- Participate on architectural and engineering design meetings from the FP&ES team
This person will need:
- Strong passion for research. Able to work autonomously in truly multicultural and international environments
- Proficiency in spoken and written English (must), Spanish (recommended) and a third EU language (plus)
- Strong computer skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); knowledge in CAD and SAS (or any other data analysis packages) would be advantageous
- Engineering degree and ideally a Master thesis in an area close to the expected research. Proven track of papers/works published in the past would be advantageous
- Proficiency in technical reporting, creation of white papers and analytical work
- Experience in basic Financial terms and their modeling
- Ability to travel across EU, US and Canada
- Passionate about environmental sustainability
About Cimpress: We produce millions of affordable, highly customized, personalized physical products for small businesses and consumers. We're boldly going where no one has gone before here at Cimpress: the scale, complexity and sheer scope of what we do requires us to innovate and solve problems that haven't been solved before. With over $1.8B in revenue, operations in 19 countries and merchants that serve over 17 million customers worldwide, we're a unique combination of stability, strength, growth and innovation. We're also a place where ideas matter, whether they come from our newest or most senior team members. There's also a lot of fun that goes with doing things no one has ever done before and you can feel it.
About Cimpress in Barcelona and the FP&ES team Cimpress came to Barcelona in 2006 to get closer to our European customers. In less than ten years, we’ve grown to become the European hub, supporting 18 markets with almost three hundreds of employees. There are some 35 different nationalities represented here!
The FP&ES team provides global support in all company operations that require the lease, buy and construction of factories as well as all the design and construction aspects on their operations. The core team is based in Barcelona and Zurich with 15 senior industrial, manufacturing and civil engineers who today are developing projects in countries like Mexico, Japan, Holland, Canada, US, the United Kingdom and India.